24.1.10

antiques

I have always been one to appreciate family heirlooms and other old stuff.  It seems the older I get the more I appreciate it.  When I was sorting through scrapbooking supplies a couple weeks ago I found this picture...

Those are my great grandparents on my dads side.  I wish I knew all of the particulars on this picture like when and where it was taken.  If only my dad wasn't in the spirit world.  Luckily my mom knew a little bit about it.  I am so glad that at a young age I made a point to sit and talk to my grandma and ask her all sorts of questions about life in her younger years.  I asked her how she met my grandpa.  I found out about how she and my grandpa ran off to get married when she was young.  I just wish I would have written everything down so I knew details instead of bits and pieces.  Anyway, I love this photograph!  I love it so much that it's my goal to have Will and I recreate the scene and have a very similar picture.  Maybe for our one year anniversary or something.  It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like they are picking peaches.  Isn't it just the cutest?

When my grandma died, my siblings and I went through the house to collect our memories.  I mainly took pictures and then a few other random things.  At the time and didn't see value in much of her belongings.  I wasn't as sentimental then as I am now.  Looking back I wish I would've taken so much more, like my sister Rita.  When I go to Rita's house I'm always coveting the items she took.  My biggest regret is not taking the pig pillows my grandma  had on her couch.  I'll have to dig up a picture of them sometime.  They were cute in a kind of ugly way but most importantly they were a piece of my childhood.  Happy memories come flooding back when I see those pig pillows in a picture.

Luckily Rita, being the cool person that she is, just recently gave me these coveted items that were grandmas.....
  
These cute squirrels that once adorned her rose garden which I decided to use as indoor decorations and this adorable dish towel....

 

Yesterday when I went to my moms house I managed to get this awesomely old patchwork quilt that Nana(my great grandma on my moms side) made.
I don't think I've been so in love with a quilt in a long time.  It's super soft and I am a huge fan of all the different colors and patterns on the fabric. 















Hopefully this is the first antique show and tell of many. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the antique show......you are unique and wonderful because of the appreciaton you have for these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love all of it! Especially that quilt! I'm glad you're back, I've missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE love so feel free to leave me some right in this box below.