10.9.10

pumpy-umpy-umpkin

something about this time of year makes me feel inspired to watch ratatouille and then cook yummy things like lentil soup.
i used my usual ingredients and spices but then decided to get fancy with a dash of cinnamon, a splash of raw apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of saffron.
best lentil soup i've made to date. 
i'm not a recipe kind of person.  i just make up food ideas in my head and then each time i cook something i'll switch it up a little more until it is perfect.  this lentil soup was just that, perfect. 
i'm adoring the change in the air outside.  in honor of that change we decided to make a little change around our house.  we overhauled our pantry and fridge.
we were never complete junk eaters, but the more we have researched such things the more we felt inclined to change.  some things are obvious but other ingredient lists you really have to read. we were shocked to discover how many regular items which seemed relatively healthy were actually horrible.  i think za husband just might be leaning a little towards my vegetarian ways.  we'll see.  so after a long trip to the store which involved reading every single label and a good amount of time weeding out certain items from our fridge and pantry we are set.

i was completely overjoyed to bring our first pumpkin of the year home from the store.  
last year our house was overflowing with pumpkins because i wanted plenty of them at our wedding so every time we went to the store we'd get a few.  we had big orange ones, big white ones and all sorts of baby pumpkins.  i was in heaven. 
      
maybe i'll go pumpkin crazy again this year too.

7 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your cooking. I can NOT make up recipes at all, I have to have instructions. The only thing I've ever made up successfully is pasta dishes, and they all taste the same: Creamy with lots of mushrooms, artichokes, and sun dried tomatoes. But everything else I need a recipe for.

    I love lentils too, I want to try your soup!

    I didn't think to check for the little baby pumpkins at the store yet, I like putting a bunch on my mantle. I may have to make a pumpkin run tomorrow. :)

    I can't believe how much time has already passed since your wedding. I loved it and the billion pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandi! I'm no expert by any means, I just get annoyed following recipes. Come over and try some. I'll email you with more info on the lentils.
    I didn't even think to check for baby pumpkins. I just happened to see them and boy was I excited. I'm pretty sure I acted like a little kid with a new toy. I wanted to buy all of them but I stopped myself.
    I can't believe it either. It really feels like we got married just yesterday. I talk about our wedding all the time with Will and tell him I want to do that day over again because it was so fun! He agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy...I should have stopped by. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fridge looks amazing!! Wow, I really need to clean mine out! The soup looks really good too. I wonder how it would have done with some yummy brown sugar:)

    Its always amazing to me what is put into food. Its even crazier that these companies don't care that its stuff we consume! I ALWAYS try to buy organic and try to keep an eye out on whats inside of all this stuff. I've always heard to shop the outside aisle of the stores. Fruits and veggies, meats, dairy, grains..etc. None of the boxed or canned stuff.
    I must say my guilty pleasure right now is candy corn....

    Wal-mart has cute small bails of Hay right now. Would look great with your pumpkins:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes muzza you should have stopped by. i tried to tell you!

    jennifer...it's so funny you mention the brown sugar because i debated about adding some but finally decided not to and i'm glad i didn't because the combination of everything gave it just the bit of sweetness it needed.
    as for the food thing.....i know it's criminal! we've been reading skinny bitch. that book does not hold back at all on the horrible stuff. i read it once before and it scared me in to changing then i got a little lazy about a few things so decided to read it again.
    my guilty pleasure will always be chocolate in some form. i traded in my usual faves for dark chocolate with almonds because i figured it's a little better. it's insane to say i'll stop it completely. i remember you saying you were a candy corn lover! you are probably so happy that it's candy corn season.
    the hay does sound super cute. i'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for pumpkins. one of my favorite things about fall. i am totally in love with these pumpkin mugs. but at 100 bucks for the set, i will just admire from afar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lisa...those mugs are ADORABLE! i definitely could never justify that much for mugs but dreaming is always nice. i'm already brainstorming about how to carve my pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

i LOVE love so feel free to leave me some right in this box below.